Ten years of climate action at Teachers Mutual
This briefing reviews the climate activities we have done in the last decade.
Banking that does not take money from, or invest in the fossil fuel industry
- We have pioneered banking without fossil fuels, one that does not invest in or take money from the fossil fuel industry – across our entire balance sheet.
- In 2015 we were the first bank to Certify Debt with zero investment in the fossil fuel industry, the first and only bank to offer both wholesale and retail, the first bank to offer these as standard to all customers,
- We were the first bank to sign the Climate League 2030 and support their call for 45% emissions cut by 2030.
- As a $9.8 billion bank, we’ve already reached $8.3 billion in Responsible Investment Association Australasia (RIAA) Certified Responsible Investment products, and committed an additional $20 billion to Climate League 2030.
- We’ve been net zero since 2012 for our direct emissions.
- 100% of wholesale investors and 100% of customers of every retail mortgage or deposit product sold by our five brands are guaranteed that their product is a Certified Responsible Investment at no extra cost.
We know there’s a lot more to do to help the world avoid catastrophic climate change, so we’ll be working even harder over the next 10 years.